The Interpretation phase of an LCA serves two purposes:
1) To gain insight so you can efficiently guide and refine the selected methodology and inventory model
2) To derive robust conclusions and well founded recommendations, as appropriate
This course presents the details of how to conduct an ISO compliant interpretation that meets all the required completeness, sensitivity and consistency checks. You will learn how to use contribution, scenario, uncertainty, and sensitivity analyses to conduct a fully detailed interpretation that will ensure your study results are robust and well-founded.
- Concepts and Methods
- Conceptual background for interpretation
- Sources of uncertainty in LCA
- Guidance from ISO standards and key literature
- Description of tools and methods available for interpretation
- Consistency checks
- Completeness checks
- Data quality checks
- Interpretation tools and methods.
- Introduction of case study and interpretation practice assignment
- Practical Exercises and Strategies
- Review and discussion of interpretation practice assignment
- Practical interpretation methods in SimaPro
- Data quality and uncertainty analysis
- Tips and strategies for interpretation
- Applied LCA in SimaPro OR Introduction to LCA and SimaPro (On-site 2 Day)
- Impact Assessment Methods OR Environmental Mechanisms
- Modeling Recycling
- Familiarity with ISO 14040 and 14044 (2006) standards
- Completion of an LCA (internal screening level LCA is fine)
This is an advanced course designed for those participants who are actively working on LCAs.
The class will meet online at www.gotomeeting.com. You will be provided with an invitation and password a few days before the class.
The best set up for taking the class is to have one computer/monitor to view the slides and one computer/monitor set up with SimaPro to follow along and gain hands on experience. If you would like to take the class but do not have access to the software, we will provide you with a temporary license.
Before the class you will receive a PDF of the presentation slides, which you can use for note taking during the class. These prove to be a great help when conducting your future LCA’s.